Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Intro

Hey there :)

For those of you who read my other blog feel free to skip past this intro. For the newcomers, I am a twenty something, med school bound, young woman from Trinidad and Tobago who has had her teeth caged up for the last 3 and a half years.

I blame all my current teeth/jaw issues on my thumb sucking habit, which means that no child of mine will EVER be allowed to suck their fingers. EVER! But I digress...

A few years ago when I initially went for a orthodontic consult back home I was informed that because I sucked my thumb for so long, and waited until I was older (17) to try to correct my bite that my jaw development and face shape had also been affected. It wasn't until a year later when I got my consult at my current ortho clinic that I was told that all this could be fixed, but I would need to have jaw surgery.

I have felt self conscious about my teeth, my bite and my side profile!!!! for most of my life, so I agreed to jaw surgery. I was taken on as a teaching case (otherwise I would not have been able to afford the surgery) and became all too familiar with terms like figure 8, lig tie and powerchain. I swear, if someone had told me that it would've taken all this time and pain to fix my teeth, that would have been more effective than half the other nonsense my family tried to get me to lay off my thumb.

My surgery was initially tentatively scheduled for the end of July, but was then pushed up to the end of June because I need to work with the schedule of my ortho clinic. I am slightly panicked (I'll explain why in my next post) but just have to keep reminding myself that it will all be worth it in the end. I will say this though, after spending all this money on this mouth of mine I will be Cheshire Cat Grinning nonstop after I get these braces off, I'm talking walking around looking like a crazy person cuz I'll be smiling all day lol.

Til next time,
Rana


No comments:

Post a Comment